Sunday, April 6, 2008

"Battlestar" Comes Back and Reminds Us Why We Still Watch


I have to admit that I was skeptical about the premiere of the final season of "Battlestar". I just kept thinking that the show's year long hiatus had soured the show. For such a fast-paced show, the gaps between the show seem to slow it down to a crawl.

All my skepticism dissapread within the first five minutes of the new episode on Friday night. Unfortunately, due to the "non spoiler clause" I subject myself to, I can't go into huge detail of the episode (I mean come on you should have seen it already), but I will try.

Symbolism is so important to this show. The Christ-like development of Gaiuss Baltar (James Callis) was a particularly strong force in the episode. I thought that the cinematography relating to this was first rate. This show just looks more lovely season after season. I get the same feeling watching the show that I get when I go to an art museum.

I thought that the story would be hard to get back into, but it took only a few minutes. There are a lot of interesting questions to be answered this season.
1. What really happend to Kara?
2. Will Baltar become a religious figure?
3. Now that the majority of the other Cylon models have been revealed, what will they do?
4. Who is the last Cylon?
5. What will Earth be like once the fleet gets there?

There are a lot of questions to answer in a relatively short time.

I will try and revisit this blog post after the series has been concluded to summarize the series.

Have some speculation on what we will see this season? Be sure to post it in the comments section.

No comments: